Are you aware what number of outcomes return whenever you Google the phrase: “are potatoes gluten free?”
Clearly the individuals need to know, and it’s my pleasure to let you know that YES! You possibly can eat potatoes in case you’re gluten free, which is nice information as a result of my Gluten Free Potato Salad recipe is a should on your subsequent gluten free summer season BBQ or picnic!
This basic, creamy potato salad recipe is the right summer season aspect dish and straightforward to customise. Whereas we want our potato salad mix-in-free, thanks very a lot, it’s simply as straightforward to toss in your favourite crunchy add-ins.
Traditional Summer season Aspect Dish
This recipe for Gluten Free Potato Salad is the one my Mother made my whole childhood, and nonetheless makes to today. Over time she’s tailored it to omit crunchy add-ins like onions and celery primarily based on our household’s preferences, although I’ll provide you with some concepts on what so as to add in case you like potato salad with somewhat texture.
One thing that hasn’t modified is the simple French dressing she stirs up then drizzles over the nice and cozy potatoes to infuse them with zippy, zingy taste. It’s simply one of the best.
For our household, no summer season BBQ or get collectively is full with no massive bowl of creamy potato salad flanked by Judy’s Baked Beans, The Finest Fruit Dip Ever, and Grandpa’s Pasta Salad, in fact. This unfold canNOT be beat!
I all the time have the standard elements wanted to whip up this greatest potato salad recipe readily available. Right here’s what you’ll want:
- Russet potatoes: if you would like a basic potato salad, you’ve bought to go together with russet potatoes. They’re tender however maintain their form within the potato salad.
- Eggs: chopped, hard-boiled eggs are one other should in a basic, Midwestern potato salad – gluten free or not!
- Mayonnaise: I like Hellman’s Olive Oil Mayonnaise, which is gluten free. We additionally preserve Hellman’s Vegan Mayonnaise readily available, although this potato salad recipe incorporates the eggs I discussed above. If you happen to don’t use these specific manufacturers, remember to verify the packaging to make sure it’s gluten free earlier than utilizing.
- Do-it-yourself French dressing: the do-it-yourself dressing drizzled over the nice and cozy potatoes requires a impartial tasting oil like canola oil or vegetable oil, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, dry mustard, salt, paprika, and a contact of sugar. Simple!
Combine It Up
Like I stated, we want our gluten free potato salad to be creamy, however be at liberty so as to add any of the next mix-ins in case you like somewhat crunch:
- Chopped inexperienced onions
- Minced purple or white onion
- Caramelized onions
- Sliced celery
- Minced dill pickles
- Chopped recent dill
- Chopped cooked bacon
- Chopped purple bell pepper
Is Retailer Purchased Potato Salad Gluten Free?
Potato salad doesn’t sometimes name for gluten-containing elements, though one thing to look out for is potential cross contamination within the manufacturing facility the place its ready and packaged. Does the label say gluten free? Does it say one thing alongside the strains of “processed in a facility that additionally processes meals containing wheat”? These are all issues you might want to preserve an eye fixed out for.
Actually my blood strain goes up simply enthusiastic about it and I additionally assume do-it-yourself potato salad simply utterly blows the packaged stuff out of the water. In my expertise, tub potato salad all the time tastes SO SWEET, whereas my private choice is for a extra tangy, savory potato salad.
How about you?
Can You Put together the Potato Salad Forward of Time?
One other factor I like about this gluten free potato salad recipe is that you could put together it utterly as much as a number of days forward of time. It will get higher because it sits!
I normally put together the potatoes, dressing, and exhausting boiled eggs on day 1, then mix them with the mayonnaise on day 2. Serve on day 2, 3, or 4.
Alrighty, let’s get you some Gluten Free Potato Salad!
Find out how to Make Simple Gluten Free Potato Salad
Step 1: Rating the potatoes.
Begin with 2-1/2lbs russet potatoes. That’s sometimes 2-3 massive potatoes, or 4-5 smaller ones — remember to purchase potatoes which can be all the identical measurement in order that they cook dinner on the similar fee.
Scrub the potatoes then use a paring knife to attain each all the best way across the heart, like a tiny potato belt. This may assist the peels slip off after they’re accomplished cooking.
Step 2: Prepare dinner the potatoes
Add the potatoes to a big pot of chilly water then place it over excessive warmth and convey to a boil. This will take Quarter-hour or so.
Flip the warmth right down to medium then simmer for 20-40 minutes, relying on the dimensions of your potatoes, or till a knife or skewer will be inserted into the middle of the potatoes. Keep away from overcooking the potatoes in order that they don’t turn out to be mushy or mealy.
Use tongs to switch the fork tender potatoes to a colander to chill for Quarter-hour, or till they’re cool sufficient to deal with however nonetheless heat.
Step 3: Make the French dressing.
Whereas the potatoes are cooking, shake or whisk up the easy French dressing to drizzle over the diced, heat potatoes which infuse them with taste.
That’s a combination of a neutral-tasting oil like vegetable, canola, or avocado oil (additional virgin olive oil is okay in a pinch!), apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, dry mustard powder, salt, paprika, and sugar. Only a contact to steadiness out the tartness of the French dressing — that is positively not a sweet-tasting potato salad!
Use the paring knife to peel the potatoes then chop into items — no should be exact — I like a country potato salad.
Drizzle 3/4 of the dressing over the nice and cozy potatoes then use a spatula to stir all the things collectively. Cowl the potato salad then place within the fridge with the remaining French dressing to sit back for not less than an hour, or as much as in a single day.
Step 4: Make the hard-boiled eggs.
Whereas the potatoes are cooking, add 4 massive eggs to a small saucepan then cowl the tops by 1″ with chilly water. Carry to a boil over excessive warmth then place a lid on prime, flip the warmth off, and let the eggs sit for 12 minutes.
After the 12 minutes are up, drain then switch the exhausting boiled eggs to a bowl of ice water to sit back for 10-Quarter-hour.
Then, peel and chop! Place the chopped exhausting boiled eggs in a container with a lid then refrigerate alongside the marinating potatoes in fridge.
Step 5: Assemble
When it’s time to eat, drizzle the remaining French dressing over the chilled potatoes, then add the chopped exhausting boiled eggs and mayo. Fold to mix then serve instantly, or stash it again within the fridge for as much as 3 days.
Every scoop of gluten-free potato salad tastes like a deviled egg – SO GOOD.
Now go forth and luxuriate in all of the potatoes you possibly can deal with, together with this straightforward, basic, summery gluten-free aspect dish! Get pleasure from!
Extra Gluten Free Summer season Aspect Dish Recipes
free e-mail bonus
Dinner Made EASY
5 days of easy but flavorful recipes that take the stress out of dinnertime!
Gluten Free Potato Salad is a basic potato salad free from crunchy mix-ins. This easy and creamy homestyle potato salad recipe is the right summer season aspect dish!
- 2-1/2lbs russet potatoes, see notes
- 4 massive eggs
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup gluten free mayonnaise
- For the French dressing:
- 1/4 cup impartial tasting oil, like vegetable, canola, or avocado oil
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Rating potatoes all the best way across the facilities like a belt (see pictures in put up above) then place inside a big pot of chilly water. Place the pot over excessive warmth then deliver to a boil. Flip the warmth right down to medium then simmer till a knife or skewer will be simply inserted into the facilities, 20-40 minutes relying on the dimensions of your potatoes. Keep away from overcooking the potatoes or they will turn out to be mushy and mealy. Use tongs to switch the potatoes to a colander then put aside to chill for Quarter-hour.
- In the meantime, add eggs to a small saucepan then cowl the tops by 1″ with chilly water. Place the pan over excessive warmth to deliver to a boil. As soon as boiling, flip the warmth off then place a lid on prime and let the pan sit for 12 minutes. Whereas the eggs are sitting, fill a bowl with ice and water. Drain the eggs then add to the ice tub to chill for 10 minutes. Peel eggs then chop and place inside an hermetic container. Refrigerate till prepared to make use of.
- Add French dressing elements to a bowl or jar with a good becoming lid then whisk or shake to mix and put aside.
- When the potatoes are cool sufficient to deal with, however nonetheless heat, use a small paring knife to peel the potatoes then chop them into items — they do not need to be uniform and exact. Switch to a big mixing bowl then drizzle 3/4 of the dressing over the nice and cozy potatoes and use a spatula to fold to mix. Cowl and refrigerate for not less than 1 hour, and as much as in a single day. Place remaining dressing within the fridge as effectively.
- When able to serve, drizzle remaining dressing over the chilled potatoes then add chopped exhausting boiled eggs, and mayonnaise (begin with 1/2 cup then add extra if desired). Fold to mix then style and add extra salt and/or mayonnaise if desired. Serve or place again within the fridge for as much as 3 extra days.
- Remember to use all the identical measurement potatoes in order that they cook dinner on the similar fee. Often 2-1/2lbs potatoes is 2 massive potatoes, 3 medium-sized potatoes, or 3-4 small/medium-sized potatoes.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Lady Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.
Images by Ashley McLaughlin