This hearty sausage stuffing is as straightforward as it’s scrumptious! The right complement to your vacation meal, this stuffing recipe options store-bought stuffing cubes, which suggests you gained’t need to dry out your individual bread.
Regardless of for those who’re crew stuffing or crew dressing, this traditional Italian sausage stuffing recipe will shortly develop into a vacation favourite! This do-it-yourself stuffing is loaded with seasonal veggies, recent herbs, and store-bought stuffing cubes for straightforward prep.
Partially prepare dinner the sausage and veggies on the range, mix with broth, and bake to golden brown perfection within the oven. We examined this recipe with and with out sautéed veggies, and the model with sautéed elements was a transparent winner – don’t skip this step!
This sliceable stuffing is somewhat candy, completely savory, all the time a crowd favourite, and a tasty different to cornbread stuffing.
“So so so good. Simple to make and the proper combo of elements. Love stuffing!” – Lauren
What You Want for Sausage Stuffing
This sausage stuffing is flavor-packed with pantry staples and straightforward to search out elements which mix to make an ideal that enhances any vacation meal. There are 4 major components to do-it-yourself sausage stuffing:
- Meat: We use delicate floor Italian sausage on this stuffing recipe.
- Veggies: Potatoes (candy and Yukon gold), yellow onion, and honeycrisp apples (not a veggie, we all know!) add pleasant taste and texture.
- Herbs and Extra: It’s not stuffing with out recent herbs like thyme, rosemary, and sage. Garlic powder, salt, and pepper add taste whereas beef broth combined with Worcestershire sauce retains the stuffing moist.
- Bread: It’s not stuffing with out bread cubes and to maintain issues easy, we used Pepperidge Farm stuffing cubes.
Sausage Stuffing Substitutions
Listed below are just a few methods to combine up this traditional sausage stuffing:
- Use spicy Italian sausage for somewhat kick
- Substitute the apples with chopped celery
- Make a half batch of stuffing and bake it in an 8×8-inch pan
Do it’s important to sauté the veggies first?
Sautéing the veggies bounce begins the cooking course of and brings out so many pleasant flavors. The partially cooked veggies additionally add great texture to the stuffing. Don’t skip this step and place uncooked veggies within the casserole dish.
Are you able to make this stuffing forward of time?
Sure! Streamline your Thanksgiving prep by making sausage stuffing as much as 3 days forward of time. Place fully cooled stuffing in an hermetic container within the fridge, then observe our reheating directions beneath.
Sausage stuffing tastes nice as leftovers! Retailer any leftover stuffing in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 3 days. Heat particular person servings within the microwave or observe the reheating directions beneath.
Reheating Sausage Stuffing
This stuffing reheats very well which turns out to be useful for leftover Thanksgiving meals! For finest style and texture, add 2-3 tablespoons of broth to a clear casserole dish (this helps preserve the stuffing moist whereas reheating). Switch the sausage stuffing into the casserole dish with the broth.
Cowl with foil and bake at 325ºF for 10-Quarter-hour or till fully heat (it can take longer to reheat bigger portions of stuffing).
Freezing Sausage Stuffing
Let the stuffing cool fully, switch to a freezer-safe container, and freeze for as much as 3 months. When able to get pleasure from, permit the frozen stuffing to thaw fully, then observe the reheating directions above.
Add this herb-y sausage stuffing recipe to your Thanksgiving or Friendsgiving celebration! It’s a traditional vacation facet dish that may shortly develop into a household favourite. Serve with our smoked turkey and different Thanksgiving sides akin to our roasted root greens and butternut squash mac and cheese.
That includes store-bought stuffing cubes, this hearty sausage stuffing is straightforward and scrumptious. Add this traditional facet dish to your vacation meal!
Prepare dinner:45 minutes
Whole:1 hour 5 minutes
- 1 lb. floor delicate Italian sausage
- 3.5 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 massive candy potato lower into half-inch cubes (pores and skin on)
- 2 medium Yukon gold potatoes lower into half-inch cubes (pores and skin on)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt divided
- 1 massive yellow onion sliced in half after which thinly sliced
- 2 small honey crisp apples minced
- 1 tablespoon freshly minced thyme
- 1 tablespoon freshly minced rosemary
- 1 tablespoon freshly minced sage
- 1/8 teaspoon floor pepper
- 12 oz. store-bought stuffing cubes we used Pepperidge Farm
- 3.5 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter lower into skinny pads
Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Spray a 9×13-inch casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. Put aside.
In a skillet set over medium/excessive warmth, partially brown the Italian sausage. Prepare dinner till there’s a little pink left, about 3-4 minutes. Switch the partially cooked sausage into the casserole dish.
In the identical skillet, add 1.5 tablespoons of olive oil. Add each sorts of potatoes, candy potatoes, Yukon potatoes, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Prepare dinner simply lengthy sufficient to partially prepare dinner by, about 3-5 minutes. Switch the potatoes into the casserole dish.
In the identical skillet, caramelize the onion. Warmth 2 extra tablespoons of olive oil. Add within the thinly sliced onion and prepare dinner over low/medium warmth till the onions are translucent and caramelized, about 7-10 minutes. Switch the caramelized onions into the casserole dish.
To the casserole dish, add the apple, recent herbs, remaining garlic powder and salt, pepper, and bread cubes. Combine every little thing collectively utilizing a spatula (or your palms).
In massive glass measuring cup (or bowl), combine collectively the meat broth and Worcestershire sauce. Pour the liquid over the stuffing combine within the casserole dish and blend once more.
Place skinny pads of butter on high of the sausage stuffing. Bake, uncovered, till the highest is golden brown and agency to the contact, about 35-45 minutes. If you happen to discover the highest is browning too shortly, tent a bit of foil excessive of the casserole dish midway by baking.
Ideas & Notes
- Storage: Retailer any leftover stuffing in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 3 days. Heat particular person servings within the microwave or observe the reheating directions beneath.
- Freezing Directions: Let the stuffing cool fully, switch to a freezer-safe container, and freeze for as much as 3 months. When able to get pleasure from, permit the frozen stuffing to thaw fully, then observe the reheating directions beneath.
- Reheating Directions: For finest style and texture, add 2-3 tablespoons of broth to a clear casserole dish (this helps preserve the stuffing moist whereas reheating). Switch the sausage stuffing into the casserole dish with the broth. Cowl with foil and bake at 325ºF for 10-Quarter-hour or till fully heat (it can take longer to reheat bigger portions of stuffing).
Energy: 350kcal Carbohydrates: 33g Protein: 13g Fats: 18g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 7g